which multiport i/o cards pass this test?

Jon Brawn jonb at specialix.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 20:59:02 AEST 1990

-> Specialix are alive and well all over Europe and the Rest of the World! <-

pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

Pim> Hi netfolk,
Pim>
Pim> I am currently looking for a multiport I/O card to replace
Pim> Specialix, because the Dutch distributor has stopped importing them.

I am sorry to hear you say that your distributor is no longer importing
Specialix products.

However, they are available in Holland via M.U.S.T., contact Jan Van Der Laan
on 04 997 74939, who will be pleased to help you.

Also, ToPlog distribute our products throughout Benelux, contact Hans De Lange,
on +33 2 332 0732 (a Belgium number).

Specialix currently have products suitable for MCA, EISA, ISA (AT bus)
architectures, with support for a large variety of operating systems.

Pim> I have evaluated some cards but lots of their drivers have trouble with
Pim> correctly handling modem control. This prevents them from working
Pim> with the intelligent modem feature in HDB UUCP:
Pim>	"ttyxx,M" in Devices  means open with O_NDELAY set
Pim>	and "\M" and "\m" in Dialers means set and clear the CLOCAL flag.
Pim>
Pim> The problem is that with these drivers, the O_NDELAY flag
Pim> cannot be properly cleared when carrier detect is not present.

It is gratifying to hear that someone is actually
using the technical features designed into the product.

Pim> I have noticed this problem with the stock ISC asy driver,
Pim> with Specialix drivers older than release 3.03,

The current release of the Specialix device driver is Version 4.0. If
*anyone* requires a *free* update please contact either Bill Hamblin,
our North European sales manager, or myself. Bill can be contacted by
email: bill at specialix.co.uk, ...!mcsun!ukc!slxsys!bill, by phone:
+44(0)932 354254, or (preferably) by FAX: +44(0)932 352781

We are always more than willing to talk to you about technical
problems with the product. The development team is quite approachable,
so drop us a line!

[End of advert. Normal cynical comments will be resumed as soon as possible.
Sorry it was quite so slimey, the sales department made me do it.... but its
all true! (I hope)]
--
This time I AM talking on behalf of Specialix!

Jon Brawn, jonb at specialix.co.uk  (or for you bangers: ..!mcsun!ukc!slxsys!jonb)