ISI 525 Optical Disk & Unix?

Jim Heasley heasley at bu-ast.bu.edu
Sun Aug 26 03:30:22 AEST 1990

I have an old Information Storage Inc. model 525 optical disk -- a WORM
-- write once and read many device. By modern standards it's not much
in that it only holds 120 MBytes per side on the cartridges, but while
operating it under DOS I stashed about 500 MBytes of astronomical images
onto these things. My machine now runs Unix System V 3.2.2, and to use
the WORM I have to shutdown and reboot under DOS. This is something of a
pain. Has anyone written a device driver that runs the ISI optical disk
under a System V on a 386?  I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if someone
has already done this.

Jim Heasley

Department of Astronomy
Boston University (on leave from U. Hawaii)

heasley at buastat3.bu.edu