SCO Unix security features

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sat Aug 18 09:57:45 AEST 1990

As quoted from <15759 at bfmny0.BFM.COM> by tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff):
+---------------
| In article <1990Aug16.174514.2646 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) writes:
| >And you still haven't answered my biggest question:  why do I have to put up
| >with this *at all* when the machines I have to install and maintain this on
| >need nothing more than simple group vectors and /etc/shadow?
|
| You don't.  There are about five other 386 UNIX ports out there.  I
| recommend anyone who doesn't want to get stuck with C2 security buy one
| of them.  (They all run Xenix binaries nicely, by the way.)  These
| messages asking "I think I want Unix for my 386, but does SCO sell it
| yet?" make me chuckle -- surely this is the sweetest coup in brand name
| recognition any value-added reseller ever pulled off...
+---------------

Not my idea, unfortunately.  The machine in question is an Altos 5000; it runs
SCO Unix, but *not* the stock version:  it has drivers for MultiDrop and Altos'
serial port concentrators (based on past experience with Altos, they should be
far more reliable than the norm for PC-class machines), the High Performance
File Processor (optional attachment), built-in Ethernet controller and SCSI
controller, etc.  I *wish* I could just pick up 386/ix for it!

I have conveyed my concerns to Altos, and they are at least partially aware
that I usually have a pretty good idea of where I'm coming from.  They seem
receptive; we'll see what happens, whether it be changes to SCO Unix (doubtful)
or a switch to 386/ix, or (worst case) being told there's nothing to be done
about it.  The latter may cause me to recommend that we start outfitting the
Dell PCs with 386/ix... Dell may not understand the stuff, but *I* do.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF: KB8JRR/KT on 220 (soon others)
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Delphi: ALLBERY