2 hardrives of different interfaces allowed to coexist?

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver
Thu Aug 23 14:22:41 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Aug22.194548.25743 at ico.isc.com>, by dougp at ico.isc.com (Doug Pintar):
> In article <1990Aug22.061223.15564 at fiver> palowoda at fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>>
>> Ahh, somebody mentioned the magic word "secondary" controller. Has anyone
>>ever tested this setup. Say with the second disk controller on interupt 15?
>>ISC? ESIX? or SCO UNIX?
>
> Yes, I have.  The ISC HPDD will support a secondary AT controller, given
> 	1) secondary I/O addresses,
> 	2) if it has a floppy controller, it must be disabled, and
> 	3) [the biggie] a secondary interrupt (usually 15).
> The reason 2 is of concern is that very few controllers offer it.  The only
> ones I've seen to date are the Adaptec 232x ESDI and 237x RLL.  I have used

 Some good news here. Actually I had the setup almost done on ESIX (rev C) with
an Adaptec 2370 RLL controller as the secondary controller. I did a low
level format on the first controller and moved it over to the second with
the proper int and base address set. Made the correct node's in the dev
directories. I got cold feet when it came to makeing the partitions with
'mkpart' because I was wasn't sure if it would mess up my root partition if
I did it wrong. I wasn't even sure if there was kernel support for the
secondary controller. What is the 'mkpart' command line to do this?
Anyone tried this on ESIX? Any help would be appreciated. The additional
storeage goes over to more drive space for PD source on the bbs.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda at fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400