SCO UNIX V/386 Authentication database

Ross Parker parker at zaphod.mpr.ca
Wed Aug 8 10:26:54 AEST 1990

I'm hoping someone can help me with the following problem...

I'm trying to port Sun's PC/NFS daemon software over to SCO UNIX
(version 3.2). Everything looks like it will go across ok, except
that I'm running into problem because of the authentication software
in 3.2. The PC/NFS daemon makes calls to getpwnam to get the encrypted
password for comparison with the one the user enters on his PC. I've
replaced this call with a 'getprpwnam' call to get the encrypted
password from the password adjunct file. This also involves linking
in the 'prot' library.

The problem: Every time I try to run even the simplest piece of code
that requires this library, I get the following message:

     Authentication database use not initialized first

I've spent most of the day today looking through the SCO manuals, and
can't find anything that helps this. I was not the one that installed
SCO 3.2 on this machine, and apparantly the default C2 security was
disabled shortly after installation using 'sysadmsh', if that makes
a difference to this problem.

I am also seeing strange messages when I run /tcb/bin/authck -p. For
every account in the password file except for root, auth, and mmdf, I get
a message:

	xxxxxxx cannot have a password set on the account

i.e.

	bin cannot have a password set on the account
	parker cannot have a password set on the account

and so on. I don't know if this has any bearing on the 'Authentication
database use....' problem.

Here's a short piece of code that exercises the problem:

----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip
p----snip
#define SecureWare
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/security.h>
#include <sys/audit.h>
#include <prot.h>
#include <pwd.h>

main()
{
        struct pr_passwd  *pr;

        pr = getprpwnam("parker");
}
----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip
p----snip

Compile with 'cc -o foo foo.c -lprot', run it, and the error appears.

I'd *REALLY* appreciate it if anyone has any answers or ideas on
this problem... I am trying to prepare this sytem for installation at
another site, and am very tight on time (due to other problems that
I had...).

Thanks,

Ross Parker				parker at mprgate.mpr.ca
MPR Teltech Ltd.			uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!parker
(604)293-5495