Esix and RLL?

Jon Gefaell jon at savant.uucp
Tue Aug 21 02:03:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug17.051018.17077 at agate.berkeley.edu> larry at belch.Berkeley.EDU (Larry Foard) writes:
>In esix literature I recieved around 2 months ago it indicated that esix does
>not support RLL drives, has this problem been corrected in the latest version
>of esix? I would really like to be able to stick with the RLL drives I am

ESIX works fine with RLL drives.

>Are there any other 386 unixs that have features similar to esix but do
>support RLL drives.

>From what I can tell, NO. Interactive has annoyware and non-support
, SCO has high Price$ and us non-standard, etc... Intel (formerly Bell
Tech) I havn't heard much about...

>Other esix questions:
> The literature mentioned BSD sockets are these included with esix
> or are they extra?
Included

> Is RFS anything like NFS? Can you mount pieces of remote file systems?
Supposedly better than RFS, from a technical standpoint, but NFS is more
widely supported..? NFS is an option from ESIX

>Slightly related question:
> Is there any public domain or relatively cheap software that will allow
> an MSDOS computer to run telnet and ftp. (If it is PD where can it be
> found)
NCSA has a telnet/ftp/whois, and more implementation, completely free.
Available from _many_ sites...

>And for something completely different:
> I noticed an earlier message asking about reasonable pricing for MACH 386.
> I would say at most it should be only slightly more than 386 sys V, but
> realistically unix is currently being kept out of the PC market because
> it generally costs more than the system it is run on. Although Unix is
> tremendously superior to any of the junk coming out of microsoft it is
> losing out to things like windows 3.0 because of the price. Microsoft is
> a billion dollar company not because they make anything worth selling or
> sell it for alots, but because they sell alots of it at low prices.

Balderdash. Don't compare apples and oranges. Poppycock and tommyrot as well:)

--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+
|I wish I had something interesting to put in my .signature file, but I don't|