Multiple tape backups with cpio

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Tue Aug 7 12:51:42 AEST 1990

In article <11134 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:

| It does work with stock AT&T sVr3.2 and the stock cpio, and the prompt for
| a new tape is really based on the system detecting the end of the tape.
| You do have to use the -O option for write and -I for read though.
|
| find . -print | cpio -ocB -C131072 -O/dev/rmt/c0s0
|
| does backup everything under . (using a large buffer) and prompts for a new
| tape at the end.
|
| find . -print | cpio -ocB -C131072 > /dev/rmt/c0s0
|
| just gives an error when reaching the end of the tape.
| (similarly for reading: -I works, stdin redirection does not)

  Alternatively if you don't have this feature, want double buffering,
or like the prompt to include the volume number of the media to mount,
you can use the bundle software posted to comp.sources.unix last year. A
new version is in the queue.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX