which scsi ctrl to use?

rick at tmiuv0.uucp rick at tmiuv0.uucp
Tue Aug 7 22:04:32 AEST 1990

In article <16 at tdw205.ed.ray.com>, heiser at sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:
> I am building a 386 machine to run Unix, and would like to use some
> sort of SCSI card to drive SCSI drives (not sure what kind of drive
> yet).
>
> I've heard reports that the *ix's are fussy about which drive you use.
> Some say the Adaptec 1542B is just fine, others say it is incompatible
> with certain hardware.  I think someone mentioned the 1522, but I'm
> not sure if that was a Unix person or a DOS person...

I'm using ESIX and an Adaptec 1542A.  So far, no problems.  I believe that
all of the Unix implementations for 386s can grok the 1542A.  I'm not that
familiar with the 1542B, but I think I remember some reported problems a
while ago.

> ATI VGA Wonder w/512K

I think ESIX has a problem with that board, though I'm not sure.  Try calling
ESIX tech support (1-714-259-3000) and ask them.

> Any comments, suggestions, etc, would be appreciated.  I hope to select
> a unit sometime soon.
>
> Bill Heiser
> 	Work:   heiser at tdw201.ed.ray.com
> 		{decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser
> 	Home:   Bill.Heiser at f240.n322.z1.fidonet.org (Fidonet 1:322/240)
> 		The Think_Tank BBS (508)655-3848  1200/2400/9600-HST
> 	Other:  75106.2332 at compuserve.com
> 	Other:	heiser at world.std.com     (Public Access Unix)

Well, those are my suggestions. 8-)  You can Email me if you want more
gory details.  I see you're on CIS -- so am I.  75006,1355.  You can find
me most nights hanging out in the AmigaTech SIG starting around 10 p.m. PDT.

(Yes, I have several Amigas.  I also use Unix, VAX/VMS, RSX, and many other
systems).
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355 at compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."