Accumulating <defunct> children in vi (SCO UNIX V.3.2.0)

Irving Wolfe irv at happym.wa.com
Wed Aug 22 10:47:45 AEST 1990

In <269 at happym.wa.com> I wrote:

>I frequently pipe a paragraph out from vi when I'm writing to a reformatter
>after awhile the system ate my text and replaced it with "No more processes."

I've already gotten two mailed replies telling me that this is a "known bug"
in vi.  Funny, it wasn't there in my Motorola UNIX V.2.

According to one of the responders, ":shell" every once in a while would get
rid of the <defunct> processes without my having to exit from vi.  I have not
tried this yet.

Thanks, responders, and unless you have something different to say, I consider
the question answered.
--
 Irving Wolfe    Happy Man Corp.   irv at happym.wa.com    206/463-9399 ext.101
 4410 SW Point Robinson Road,  Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399     fax ext.116