Linking Problems with SCO-ODT (Was: Compiling g++ under SCO)

Ron Guilmette rfg at NCD.COM
Thu Aug 23 16:29:08 AEST 1990

In article <348 at stephsf.stephsf.com> wengland at stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) writes:
>In article <20423 at saleven.oz> mykel at saleven.saleven.oz.au (Michael Landers) writes:
>>

>>groff, actually) I get problems with multiply defined symbols...
>   I've similar problems when compiling and linking software.  For instance
>   I can not get ld to properly link items that contain ingres functions
>   without getting multiple defines...

In case my prior message didn't make it out, let me say again that I believe
that this problem is rooted in ld++ (which gets installed as gcc-ld).
Unfortunately, I have not yet had sufficient time to isolate this problem
and to *prove* that the problem is being caused by ld++.  So this ought
still be be considered simply an informed conjecture at this point.

If this problem is really getting you down, you might try an experiment to
help isolate this problem.  Try linking the same set of .o files and libraries
with your native system linker.  You should be able to do this simply by
temporarily renaming your installed gcc-ld file to gcc-ld.save or something
and then using g++ to invoke the linker (as you normally would).  Use the
-v option so that you can see exactly which linker gets invoked.  If your
native linker gets invoked, and if the `multiply defined' errors go away
then we know that the bug is in ld++.  If you do this experiment, please
post the results here.
--

// Ron Guilmette  -  C++ Entomologist
// Internet: rfg at ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg