Broken 6386!

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Wed Aug 22 09:23:47 AEST 1990

My nice new 6386E/33 refuses to boot from the floppy drive!  This began
after I tried to re-install UNIX SV R3.2.2 from the diskettes supplied
by Consensys, the caching controller people.

I booted their FORMAT.PS diskette and formatted the #1 HD, then switched
to the BOOT.PS diskette -- a modified version of the SVR3.2.2 distribution
diskette #1 --, rebooted, hit <space> at the appropriate point, and
typed "unix.PS" as per their instructions.  "Can't find file" was the result.

I then decided to remove their controller and install a WD1007-WA2.  No
joy there either, so the PS controller went back in.  Now, when I power
up, the "fault" light goes on immediately and stays on, POST runs
faultlessly, indicating that I have 2 floppies, but showing failure for
the hard disk(s).  And a 1790 error appears, and tells me to hit F1 to
continue.  I get a message about a boot, but the FD access LED stays
dark and nothing happens (except that the NUM/SCROLL/CAPS Lock LEDs are on)!

Before I waste a call to the Hot Line, does anyone have any suggestions?
I have already removed the Starlan board and the multiport boards, and
even removed the controller briefly, but turning the power on turns on
the fault light!

Thanks,
Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
Internet: pjh at mccc.edu