Recomm. sought for UNIX for 386 pcs..

35G-PATEL vsp at hjuxa
Thu Aug 23 23:22:18 AEST 1990

Hi,

	OBJECTIVE:

		I am planning to buy 80386 based UNIX PC. I am
	considering to get either SCO 3.2 or ISC 2.2. Either of
	this can be bought for about $1000+/- for a developer's system
	with 1-2 user license. So the price is not the consideration.

	SCOPE:

		I have been working on UNIX internals. The  initial
	use of the system will be to get my wife familiar with
	the operating system and use for our college work etc.
	Later on, I might want to use it for software developments.

	RECOMMENDATIONS:

	    (1)  I would like to know which one is more stable OS.
	I see a lot of posting on problems with vi, uucp, scsi driver etc.

	    (2)  Where can I get info on getting a feed to UUCP and/or
	SMTP? What is the procedure for the same? Is it allowed for
	personal usage? What are the costs involved?

	    (3)  Anything else to watch for? I do not have either PC
	or the OS at the moment. But I will get 80meg+ SCSI with 4-6 meg
	RAM and preferably 25MHZ CPU (with cache) and 14" VGA color for
	about $3300. No ethernet or scsi tape for the moment.

		Thanks a lot.

		p.s. This is cross-posted on comp.mail.misc..

						vsp at unx.dec.com