V.4 & Mach Update

Per Andersson perand at admin.kth.se
Mon Aug 13 06:30:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug7.222716.7957 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>Naturally, I'm curious what price they think the market would demand...
>
>  How much do you think a 386 Mach or other system with a BSD-like inter-
>  face ought to cost?  What's the max price that would make sense?

If it is enough BSD-like, about 2000$

>  Would you pay more for a BSDish system than for Sys V?  About how much,

Yes, always. I don't care about commercial applications, but networking,
ease of porting code and job control (and tcsh) is strong arguments with me.

>  How would something like this stack up against a V.4 system?
Well see when there is a V.4 system one can take a peek at. Probably
BSD4.4 will hit the streets before, so maybe our 386/ix gets a trip
down to the wastebasket.

>  How much difference should there be for 1-2 user vs unlimited?  (That
I feel that a reasonably configured 1-2 user package may have a right to
exist. 30-40% more for unlimited maybe.

>OK, folks..what does it all mean?
42 !

I'm a complete BSD junkie, my site has a source license, I run GNUEmacs and
don't run WordPerfect. In case there will be a affordable V.4 or a reasonable
ISC upgrade we'll probably get it. On the other hand - before V.4 hits the
streets maybe GNU is ready. And the support is definitely cheaper on GNU.

Per

--
---
Per Andersson