Mail problem under SCO UNIX V/386 Release 3.2 -- Loss of Mail

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Fri Aug 3 00:32:23 AEST 1990

irv at happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) writes:

>If two messages arrive from another system in the same uucp session for a user
>while he is in mail, one of the messages can get lost.  The uucp logs on both
>ends show successful passing of both pieces of mail, but the user is only
>notified of the first piece and the second piece goes to never-never-land (at
>least sometimes).

	Regrettably, we continue to experience such problems. They're
	traceable to MMDF-II. If you look in /usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/*/*
	you'll likely find the lost mail.

	Fortunately for us, we market our own email software (FXMAIL)
	which provides drop-in replacements for most of the SCO mail
	components. Replacing their rmail (which feeds into MMDF) with
	our own (which writes directly to the mailboxes or interfaces
	to uux) eliminated all problems with remotely posted mail. Only
	system-generated messages (which use 'mail') continue to be a
	problem.

	uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!rsxtech!shwake	shwake at rsxtech