Which Unix to Buy?

Warren D. Calhoun calhoun at usaos.UUCP
Tue Aug 28 19:45:15 AEST 1990

In article <2743 at anomaly.sbs.com>, mpd at anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
* edevin at corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU (ted devin) writes:
* *	- Price
* *	  I would like to make this a economical as possible.  This is
* *	  only a minor point.  A couple hundred dollars is 'minor'.  Several
* *	  hundred to a thousand is not.
*
* If you think you're going to get off for a "few hundred" for a complete
* UNIX OS, then you're only kidding yourself. Most UNIX OS's (XENIX, ESIX, etc)
* run over $500 for the OS.
*
* In order to make your budget, it looks like you need to buy something used.
*
I just bought SCO ODT (limited user) for $680.00.  While I was negotiating, I
was offered the SCO System V 3.2 (also limited user) for $387.00.  Shopping
the VARs and informing them of the budget restriction can sometimes net you
a savings.  Considering that even at ~$400.00, there is still more than a
100% profit margin (discounting R&D), this is still not a bad deal for SCO or
for the reseller.  It is also more than $200.00 better than SCO's listed retail
price.
--
| SSG W.D. Calhoun                  |       UUCP: ...!uunet!usaos!calhoun    |
| Gas Turbine Engine (52F) Branch   |   INTERNET: calhoun%usaos at uunet.uu.net |