ANSI C for ISC UNIX?

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Sat Aug 18 13:05:14 AEST 1990

In article <253 at abhg.UUCP> you write:
>I'm looking for an ANSI C compiler for Interactive's UNIX 2.2.
>[and it's not clear whether the LPI compiler is bundled or not]

My copy of the 2.2 application developer platform did indeed contain
LPI C.  I haven't installed it, though, because after I looked at the
manual, I didn't see any compelling reason to switch from GCC.

GCC runs on ISC Unix straight out of the box (or off the net, or whatever)
if you configure it for Sys V 386 and use the ISC assembler and linker.
Under 2.2, there is some confusion about ANSI vs. POSIX features in
header files, but nothing too traumatic.

Has anyone compared the code quality of GCC to LPI?  There's a rather
disconcerting note in the LPI manual that suggests that LPI never uses
indexed addressing modes unless you use a special switch.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!esegue!johnl