Lotus for sysV (multi-user?)

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Fri Aug 17 02:15:01 AEST 1990

Lotus is advertising a system V version.  I called and was told that
it's available now; list prices around $950 single-user,
and $1100 for up to 10 users.  A clear example of pricing
to reflect "value" rather than cost; but how do you suppose
they limit the number of simultaneous users?

1) do it in the code itself: very difficult with shared text and
virtual memory

2) create lock files.  Hackable by wrapping lotus in a shell that does
chroot

3) look at process table.  Hackable by linking new names, or renaming lotus;
but of course lotus could prevent renaming itself by looking at argv[0]

Anybody know of another way?

DISCLAIMER: I HAVEN'T SEEN LOTUS OR TRIED (2) ABOVE

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840