< 3 SCSI Drives on ISC 2.02 (problem) >

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Thu Aug 2 00:32:38 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul28.011957.301 at scuzzy.mbx.sub.org> src at scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) writes:
>rick at tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>>Whoa!  Be careful here!  Check your power supply.  Three hard disks are NOT
>>a good thing on a single power supply...
>well, it's surely better to have more watts, but that seems to depend on the
>power supply (and the weather on the day of purchase :-). especially those
>'generic' (taiwan) power supplies can be real bad. a friend of mine has
>smoked THREE of them :-( ...

Yep, power supply smoking can be very unrelated to power consumption.
The power supply in my Everex Step 386/25 smoked after less than 6 months,
with only 1 drive and 4meg in the system. I put in another one, a 230 Watt
thing from a local store, and it smoked a couple of months later, shortly
after adding a second drive and 4 more meg. I pulled a 5 year old (!)
200 Watt power supply from an old AT-clone, and the Everex has been running
happily every since. So beware of these new taiwan 'heavy duty' 230 or more
watt power supplies.

Paul.