RFS vs. NFS

Michael Richardson michael at fts1.uucp
Tue Aug 28 03:15:04 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug21.183615.8315 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>> For a third choice, Intel's OpenNET software...
>> ...Instead a super-root, "//", is created. To access
>> files on a remote system, you access "//sysname/usr/bin..."...
>
>Ugh!  This isn't the first time I've seen this trick, but it's still a bad
>idea.  I wish all the clever developers who decided, "Yeah, we can just use
>a double / for that!" had been experienced with UNIX before they inflicted

  I much prefer /../sysname/usr/bin. I think this idea first appeared in
edition 8. It prevents introducing new tokens.
  I think getwd() (/bin/pwd) breaks for this, but I think that is it.
  If getwd() is in a shared library, then no problem fixing it.

--
   :!mcr!:            |  'Golf sucks anyway --- give the land to the
   Michael Richardson |    Indians'  --- recent CANACHAT comment.