xterm -C in ISC 2.02

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Fri Aug 3 01:11:56 AEST 1990

In <2641 at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu> fritzz at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:

>I tried to run a CONSOLE Xterm with  xterm -C.
>It fails with the message "bad command line option", usage: bla bla -C bla bla.

>Is -C not supported by ISC's xterm?

Correct.
It would be impossible to do so. This is a SunOSism. There is an ioctl, I
forget exactly what it is called (TIOCGCONS or some such) to allow console
output to be grabbed and redirected onto another file descriptor. This is
unavailable under SVR3.2 and ISC didn't put it in. Kind of a shame, but
it's hardly a really important feature - you could get partial emulation
by adding 'Operating System Messages' i.e. osm, and running 'cat /dev/osm &'
in your "console window".

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Unix Support               | Email: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
Dell Computer Corp. (UK), Bracknell    | (pending domain registration).