copying 5.25 boot disk to 3.5

H. Chen hchen at silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Fri Feb 16 04:26:35 AEST 1990

In article <1688 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli at ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>does anyone know how to copy a 5.25 boot disk to 3.5???
>i'm going crazy with this Zenith 386 machine!  it must have the 3.5
>drive as primary, unless i get a special cable.
>
>"dd" can copy 5.25 to 3.5 media, but how to deal with the boot track?
>is there a special blocksize necessary???

Can you find some system which can be booted from your 5.25 disk and have
3.5 disk driver tied to it?  If you can find one, boot from your 5.25 disk.
Then format/s your 3.5 disk and then transfer the files from the 5.25 disk
to the 3.5 disk.  (The problem is that many systems don't boot from a lower
lever dos.)

I did this way for dos 2.0 (or 2.1?) disk.  The 3.5 disk was formated
into 360k.

(Another way to do it, if there is nothing about system files, you may try
to use PC Copy II.  I am not sure if it works or not for the system files.)

Huijie