X on the 386

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Feb 13 15:27:36 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb12.180931.1093 at aqdata.uucp> sullivan at aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:

I know you asked for email, but this is the kind of info that is best
discussed on the net, rather than behind the lines.

>How much memory should be loaded up to run X?

At least 8MB.  You can get X running with 4MB, but you get real mad when
the system swaps/pages in a program as you move the mouse pointer from
one window to another.

>Are Interactive's X packages stable?

Yes.

>Are there any alternatives to SCO and Interactive for X development/use
>on the 386?

You could get the X server from Interactive and then port the X11r3 or X11r4
library stuff.

>Are there any Open Look development packages available on the 386?

Not sure, but I believe lots of the open look stuff has been released on the
X11r4 tape.

>Which type of mouse is better:  bus or serial?

I prefer serial so I don't use up an extra slot.  And it can go on a multiport
card port.

>Any multiport serial board recommendations/warning?

Eqinox megaport (12 or 24 ports/card) is great.
Maxspeed card (8 ports/card) is pretty good
Bell Tech ICC aint worth the expence (if it is still available)