Swapping Questions

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Feb 18 07:34:45 AEST 1990

>>Short of rebooting, how do I get those other unknown processes back
>>into main memory?  And should I really care about being out in swap??
>
>You shouldn't really care.

Ditto.  One of the places where you can get program placed onto the
swap device when they aren't being run by anybody anymore is if the program
has the sticky bit set (a 't' in the others-execute slot on an ls -l
listing, set by doing a chmod 1xxx on the file).  If this is set the
text portion of the program will remain in memory (and be swapped out
to the swap device if they are no longer needed and the memory is needed
for other stuff, never to be swapped in until they are needed).

You shouldn't worry about them.  You can get rid of them by chmoding the
file, removing the file, writing to the file, or umounting the file system
that the file is on.  Note that none of these will work if someone is
running the program. (of course it normally won't be on the swap device
at that time).