Memory Fault, core Dumped (ISC 2.0.1)

Gordon C. Galligher gorpong at telxon
Sun Feb 11 15:59:59 AEST 1990

Lately I have been having a nasty problem crop up, and it has become much
more blatent lately.  I am running programs and all of a sudden I get
a Memory Fault, Core Dumped message.  At first I thought it had to do with
not having enough memory, but I have 4 Meg. and I'm not running hardly
any processes.  An example is a program I wrote (unrm, will be out in
comp.sources.unix soon) which makes some malloc() calls.  If I am root,
and I attempt to allocate 524 bytes it fails.  It doesn't return from the
malloc() call, it fails IN the malloc and dumps core.  If I am a general
user I do not have this problem.

Can anyone out there give me some sort of clue as to what is happening?
I am running ISC 386/ix 2.0.1 w/4 MB ram, and 75Mb. hard drive.  Please
e-mail and I will post if there is sufficient interest.

		-- Gordon.

Gordon C. Galligher  <|> ..!uunet!telxon!gorpong <|> telxon!gorpong at uunet.uu.net
Telxon Corporation   <|>
Akron, Ohio, 44313   <|> "I would advise yas ta keep dialin' Oxmyx" - Spock
(216) 867-3700 (3512)<|>	_A Piece of the Action_