adding bad blocks using 386/ix

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.UUCP
Wed Feb 28 22:53:21 AEST 1990

I recently installed a 1542 as a secondary controller along with
a 2372.  I'm booting off the 2372, mounting /usr off the 1542,
and then mounting /usr2 of the 1542.

I've been getting numerous errors on the SCSI drive.  When installing
the drive, I did a low level format using the 1542 BIOS and ran the
complete DMA check for 2 hours (which didn't produce a single error).

I tried adding the errors for the SCSI drive using mkpart -A <abs sector>
and I get an error - No root partition.  I also tried "mkpart -A <sec> -f
/etc/partitions" - likewise the same error, no the bad blocks were not added
to /etc/partitions.

Finally, I added the bad blocks manually to /etc/partitions, unmounted and
remounted the device (I assume that /etc/partitions is read at mount time).

The errors that I am still getting are "illegal or erroneous command, absolute
sector 1364708".

My DMA was running at SYCLK and I changed it to SYSCLK/2 (I have the AMI
bios).  The 1542 is jumpered in the default configuration with the exception
of the floppies disabled.

Any ideas out there?

                uucp: larry at nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system