X on the 386

George W. Erhart gwe at cbnews.ATT.COM
Wed Feb 14 14:14:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb12.180931.1093 at aqdata.uucp> sullivan at aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
>How much memory should be loaded up to run X?

I use AT&T's OpenLook (tm) 2.0 End User package. I previously had
8 megabytes and found that with a few xterms, and xclock, and all of the
OpenLook related processes running, there was only 100K of free RAM left.
I have now gone to 12 megabytes and am comfortable this the added room.

>Are there any Open Look development packages available on the 386?

OpenLook also has a Development package that contains the libraries for
X11R3 plus the OpenLook stuff.

>Which type of mouse is better:  bus or serial?

I have slots to burn ... I prefer the Bus mouse.
--
George Erhart
AT&T Network Systems/Bell Laboratories