Calyx ddx (dental) software

Ken Weaverling 00499 at vax1.acs.udel.EDU
Tue Feb 6 11:56:21 AEST 1990

I am trying to locate anyone using any medical software by Calyx corp,
specifically their dental package ddx, but mdx OK too.

Please get in touch with me via e-mail (or call collect within the U.S.)
if you are using this software, or manage a department that does. (I
will sumarize if there is interest or I even get a response. Obviously,
every office doesn't have this software :-)

I manage computer systems for various departments here, one of them is
a dental school and I have a sneaking suspicion that they are being taken
by our local reseller of the Calyx software (Please note: The reseller,
I am not accusing Calyx of anything...)

Specific issues I am concerned with:

  Their manual has many chapters missing from it.
  They charge an outragous monthy software maintanance fee.
  On top of this, they charge $75/hr for phone support...
  I was wondering if anyone deals with Calyx directly?

What has PO'ed me is the following:

  They came to install the package. It was for Xenix, not Sys V. I
     told the person doing it and she assured me it would work. It did
     not. They had to order the correct version. Then they charged
     4 x $75 for the false install (lately removed after a lot of cursing)
  They couldn't get the tape drive to work for backups. They later claimed
     it was cause we had an incompatible drive. I went in there and fiddled
     with the block size values and it worked fine. We got charged for it!
  The terminal we had didn't work (a Prime PT250 :-). They claimed that
     we needed an AT-style keyboard (geesshh...) I edited their terminal
     description files and got it working.
  They appear to be incompetent. When the software failed with an error
     message, they didn't know what the message meant.  In fact, I never
     remember them answering one question without having to call Calyx
     directly.

Any responses appreciated. Any equiries on my experience with the
software itself (not bad so far...) gladly answered.

PLEASE, THIS NOTE IS *NOT* AGAINST CALYX. IT'S ABOUT THE RESELLER...

Ken Weaverling - Systems Administrator |  Internet: 00499 at vax1.acs.udel.edu
Delaware Technical & Community College |  Voice:    +1 302 573 5460