Help building GNU emacs 18.55

Doug djs at nimbus3.UUCP
Thu Feb 8 01:18:02 AEST 1990

>In article <186 at nimbus3.UUCP>, djs at nimbus3.UUCP (Doug) writes:
> I've been trying to build GNU emacs 18.55 on an AT&T 6386 running
> System V/386 Release 3.2.2.  In config.h I used m-intel386.h and
> s-usg5-3.h.  In s-usg5-3.h, I defined HAVE_PTYS and SYSV_PTYS since
> the system seems to have them.
>
> During the build, the compile dies in sysdep.c because
> the include file <sys/sioctl.h> does not exist.
> I commented out the include line as suggested by
> a comment in sysdep.c.  After doing that, the compile dies because
> it does not know the size of a struct named tchar.

Thanks to all that responed to my plea for help.

Someone sent me email saying that the code in 18.55 was from before
AT&T include pseudo-ttys in its distribution.  They sent me several
suggestions on how to get this to build.

I made the following changes in sysdep.c:

1) I undefined TIOCGETC
2) I changed the sioctl.h include to be ptem.h
3) I also had to include stream.h for one of the structure definitions
   in ptem.h.

After that, sysdep.c compiled.

The build then died in process.c because <sys/pty.h> did not exist.
After rooting around in the include files, I decided to change
pty.h to ptms.h since it said it was the support for pseudo terminals.
I also had to include stream.h.  After these changes, it managed to
build a somewhat working emacs.

The emacs starts up and seems to be able to edit o.k. but has the following
behaviors:

1) It will randomly die, logging me off the system (although this seems
   to only happen if I mess around with a subprocess).
2) The lisp variable process-connection-type is set to t, indicating that
   emacs thinks it's using pseudo ttys for process connections.
3) A process started with M-! will return output to the buffer.  However,
   running the 'tty' command produces "Not a typewriter" error message.
   I thought that this should not happen with pseudo-tty connections.
4) Shell mode locks up the terminal.  All characters typed do not appear
   anywhere.  Hitting control-g produces the "Quit" on the status line
   but does not free up the terminal.  Killing the sub-shell from
   another terminal shows that emacs catches the death of the child signal.
   The only way out of this is to kill the emacs process from another
   terminal.

If anyone has any suggestions about what I can try to fix this I would
really appreciate it.  As you can probably tell, I know next to nothing
about pseudo-ttys.
--
Doug Scofea   Email: nimbus3!djs at cis.ohio-state.edu    Phone:(614) 794-2853