Blindingly fast disk I/O

Brad Staff bjstaff at zds-ux.UUCP
Fri Feb 23 02:59:50 AEST 1990

I started this thread awhile back with the query about what SCSI and/or
ESDI controllers and disks you all liked.  Since email responses seem to
have stopped, it is time to summarize the responses.

SCSI controllers
================
Adaptec AHA-1540A/1542A - I got some favorable comments.
WD FASST - I got one favorable, one mixed, and one negative comment.
Mylex - I got one "I've heard it's good" comment.

SCSI drives
===========
Imprimis - I got some favorable comments.  There was a suggestion to
	use drives that had read-ahead, as they were much faster.
Newbury Data - I got a negative comment.

ESDI controllers
================
DPT - I got two favorable and one "I've heard it's good" comment.
Compuadd - I got one "I've heard it's good" comment.
WD1007A - I got one very favorable comment.
Adaptec 2322B - I got one favorable comment.

ESDI drives
Imprimis - I got some favorable comments.
Maxtor XT4380E - I got a favorable  comment.
Micropolis - I got some favorable comments.

I thank everyone who responded.

Brad Staff
Zenith Data Systems
uunet!zds-ux!bjstaff