SCSI and 386/ix

John L. Grzesiak jlg at odicon.UUCP
Sun Feb 4 18:25:53 AEST 1990

In article <25c77e8b:490.5comp.unix.i386;1 at nstar.UUCP>, larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> >The real win is with *two* SCSI drives; while an RLL controller
> >usually is WD1003 compatible, and thus cannot possibly support
> >overlapped seeks or transfers, the ACB 1542 will support these,
>
> How about getting 2 2372B RLL controllers each controlling 1 drive?
> Wouldn't this have the same effect as two SCSI drives on the 1542?

In a word : no... While it would seem that this would allow a greater bandwidth
 thru  the AT bus , they 1542A as a bus master is actually faster than
 two good ESDI controllers (Never mind RLL-st506).
 We won't go into how DMA controllers work , since there are several
  good books on the subject available.

	* John Grzesiak @ Omega Dynamics :  Specializing in UNIX/XENIX    *
	* Meriden Ct USA                 :    Consulting . . .            *
        * jlg at odicon or spock!odicon!jlg : gaboon!odicon!jlg              *