wangtek retensioning problems

Keith Ericson keithe at tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM
Mon Feb 12 18:29:05 AEST 1990

In article <1467 at eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> wsinpdb at eutws1.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:
<In article <OMLCD2 at geminix.UUCP> gemini at netmbx.UUCP writes:
<>tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
<>
<>...
<>For erasing and retensioning tapes I wrote two simple programs that should
<>do the trick. I've tested them with the Wangtek 150 MB streamer model.
<>I've named them `wterase' and `wtretens'. Here they are:
<>...
<
<Amazing how much duplication of effort we see for such a simple problem.
<
<The real and simple solution is to use the tapecntl(1) command:
<
<tapecntl [ -etrw ] [ -p arg ]
<
<where e=erase, t=retension, r=reset device, w=rewind tape and p[n]=
<position tape to n-th end-of-file mark.
<

OK: thanks for the erasing and retensions substitutes for the
tapecntl functions.  Now, can someone contribute a "move to n-th
end-of-file mark program," a clone of tapecntl -p <num>, please?

Thank you.

keith (why is tapecntl buried in /usr/lib/tape, anyway?) ericson