ShineCom 16 port intelligent card

David Mason mason at oct1.UUCP
Fri Feb 2 22:59:32 AEST 1990

I am busy investigating the possibility of installing a ShineCom
8/16 port intelligent card in my machine, and am looking for
others who have had experience with it.  It was advertised in
Unix World, December 1989, pg 102.  I have had a series of bad
experiences with port cards, and now treat them with extreme
caution.  I am looking to install 2 cards giving 32 ports under
ISC 386/ix v2.0.2 running on a generic machine with an Intel
25Mhz motherboard.

If anybody has used one, I would be pleased to know how it
performed.  Factors like hardware problems, driver problems, ease
of installation, performance, CPU loading, number of ports
installed and reliability are important.  Basically, does it work?

Please e-mail me as our incoming newsfeed is off but mail is
still coming through.  I will post a summary onto the net.

Thanks