Porting FAS serial driver to SCO UNIX

Andrew Burgess andy at netcom.UUCP
Sun Feb 25 11:58:21 AEST 1990

In article <7848 at netcom.UUCP> I wrote:

>I am trying to port the fas serial driver (posted here in January)
>to SCO UNIX. I've applied patch1 and did the following to get it to
>compile and link.

etc etc

Here I go again responding to my own postings. I waded into the driver a
little and found that fasinit() was calling a UART test routine that
in turn called delay() to wait for characters to flow through the UART.
According to the FM "delay cannot be called from an xxinit or interrupt
routine". I stubbed the test routine out and the driver came up fine.

I now get 750 bytes per second both ways to the Sparcstation at work
over usually noisy lines. When I called in PEP mode but without the
UUCP protocol selected (which means, I think, that the two machines
have to deal with the protocol themselves) throughput dropped to
150 bytes per second. My machine is relatively slow by todays standards
(16Mhz 386 64K cache 9Mb mostly 16 bit memory). My throughput to
another 386 machine (specs unknown) is only 400 bps.

Does anyone get better throughput than 750 bps and between what kinds of
machines?

Andy Burgess
uunet!cichlid!aab