Tape Backup Blues!!

WB3FFV howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org
Fri Feb 9 04:16:10 AEST 1990

   Hello All,

Hopefully somebody in this group will have an idea as to how I can solve my
tape problem (this seems to be a hot topic here :-).  I am running AT&T
UNIX V/386 Release 3.2, and use to have at different times a 60 and 120 meg
Everex tape backup installed.  I decided to go with the new 150meg backup
from Everex (QIC-150/QIC-36) since both the 60 and 120 worked fine under
the AT&T qt tape driver.  Well to my suprise I found that the 150meg unit
will read tapes all day long, but write, forget it!  I tried the DOS utils
that were supplied with the tape unit and it works fine, so then I tried
the dos utils from the 120meg unit, and as expected it failed to write.  I
tried calling Everex tech support, and the only advice they gave me was to
send it back and get the 120 if that would work (needless to say I bought the
150meg because I want a 150meg backup, what a bunch of idiots!!).  If anybody
knows where I can get a working driver for the 150 meg unit, it would be
greatly appreicated.  Also if anybody knows what they changed in the 150meg
tape unit it would also be helpful, as I can get to the driver sources if
needed.  I just can't understand why Everex is unwilling to help somebody
fix a problem, or at least tell us what they changed so we can fix it!!

				Thanks in advance for any help!