Cyrix/Weitek conflict?

courtney courtney at agc.uucp
Thu Feb 15 05:05:32 AEST 1990

I have just bought a Cyrix 387 coprocessor to replace
a burntout 80387 in my 20 Mhz Dell 310i running Dell
Unix V3.2 ( aka ISC?). I also have
a Weitek 1167 coprocessor installed ( both purchased
from Microway). My C compiler only supports the 387
and my NDP fortran works fine with the Weitek. Great.

The problem :

I write a fortran program that divides by zero and does
a core dump. The compilation is set to use the Weitek.
I run "sdb" to find out where the error is and the
system crashes. Kernel panic and other stuff dumped to
the screen. ( I really don't want to recreate the
situation to describe in fine detail the nature of the
system crash - I'd hate to disrupt the file system.)
I take out the Cyrix and "sdb" runs as I would have
expected. I had never experienced this problem with
the Intel coprocessor.

The question :

Has anyone else noted any difference between the Cyrix 387 chip
and the old Intel 80387? The Cyrix runs fast - but it's not
worth a system crash.

Bob Courtney
Atlantic Geoscience Centre
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia