TCP/IP daemon quits sporadically

John Stewart stewart at netxcom.DHL.COM
Thu Feb 1 11:33:14 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan24.185408.2157 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>What >has< happened is that smail3 (sendmail replacement) will die
>occasionally with a protocol error.  It's sitting in background, and all of
>a sudden it stops working.  Killing and restarting it fixes the problem; I'm
>not sure this is a 386/ix problem or one we have here locally :-)

I have seen a similar problem running smail3 under Xenix (which I hacked
to use the 4.1-style sockets library which is offered by Excelan).  The
daemon just dies mysteriously after running for weeks sometimes.  No
zombie, core file, or error message.  So it's not local.
--
John Stewart at Effective Computing, Inc.        | Watch out!  You might get
 202-232-5470 stewart at ecompin.uucp               | what you're after!