Blindingly fast disk I/O and problems with 1542 ans SCSI tape

Paul Guthrie pdg at chinet.chi.il.us
Sun Feb 18 15:28:11 AEST 1990

In article <1171 at digiw.UUCP> petri at digiw.UUCP (0000-Admin) writes:
>	Does this driver support ISC High petrformange disk driver
>	( HPDD ) and soes it support SCSI tapes. I have used adaptec
>	1542 controllers, but ihave had big problems with Archive
>	150 M SCSI streamers. I have got always PANIC .. error code 17
>	when i have used steamer . I am now looking some other
>	solution for SCSI disc and tape.
>	The problem with 1542 and Archive 2150S is not problem with
>	only one unit , i have tested 5 diferent ones of 1540 / 1542
>	three 210S`s and in many diferent computers.    .... And
>	once i got it working, but then i sold controller ... !.
>	The problem is not with SCSI id , not with parity .

I have had this combination working for months with no problems, so
you must have either a configuration problem, or some other hardware
problem.  First, there are some problems with SCSI IDs.  I put
my HP disk on SCSI ID 1 and the Archive 2150S on ID 4.  The archive
doesn't seem to get recognized on any ID < 4.  Also you need the
latest ROMs (21247-5 I believe) in the 2150S.... The rev 3 would not
work properly. Also, check your cabling and terminators.  One thing
I quickly found out is that SCSI is power terminated..... ie if I
switch off my tape drive, my disk gets scribbled onto!  Anyway, this
combo of the 1542A and 2150 + a nice fast SCSI disk is
fantastic.... it is very fast, and I don't eat a slot and IRQ for a
seperate tape controller.
--
Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul