Logging console messages to a printer.

Mark W. Snitily mark at zok.UUCP
Fri Jan 5 04:34:30 AEST 1990

In article <1016 at rsiatl.UUCP> jgd at rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
>This may be a RTFM question, in which case, a pointer to the correct
>FM would be appreciated.
>
>System:  ISC 2.0.2
>
>How do I redirect console messages to a printer to be dedicated for
>that purpose?  I want to log everything that goes to the console and yet
>not loose keyboard control of the console for shutting the system down.
>(I've seen the patches to init and shutdown; I want a bit more elegant
>solution if possible.)  The printer is an ordinary epson matrix unit sitting
>on /dev/lp0.  No other jobs are anticipated for that printer.

   Haven't tried this, but I think that

      tail -f /dev/osm | /dev/lp0 &

should do the trick.  You'll need to have the read access to /dev/osm
and write access to /dev/lp0, of course.

   Device "osm" stands for "operating system messages".  You have to have
the driver built into the kernel.  In kconfig this is selected under
the  "ADD FACILITY" item.  The facility you want to add is "Operating
System Messages".  (If you already have added it, it won't show up under
ADD FACILITY but will be listed under REMOVE FACILITY.)

   Hope that helps.  Please let the net know if that works.

-- Mark

Mark W. Snitily                 Consulting Services:
894 Brookgrove Lane             Graphics, Operating Systems, Compilers
Cupertino, CA 95014             (408) 252-0456
mark at zok.uucp