Tape retensioning

Paul Gillingwater paul at actrix.co.nz
Sat Jan 6 17:35:06 AEST 1990

Hi,
I just got my 150 Mb tape drive running under ISC 386/ix 2.0.2.
I wanted to retension some new tapes, prior to using them for data.
So, i tried the Xenix command:
	tape reten

But I couldn't find anything like this for ISC.  The man(8) page
only gave me details of the driver, but no info on simple
utilities for tape handling.  So, I whipped up a 7 line C program
that simply used the ioclt for a TAPE_RETEN (see tape(8)).

But what happens to new users who haven't got a C compiler?
How do *they* retension their tapes?  And yes, I tried RTFM...
Paul Gillingwater, paul at actrix.co.nz