Tape retensioning

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Jan 10 00:34:38 AEST 1990

In article <6412 at turnkey.gryphon.COM>, jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

> Well, AT&T's FM does indeed contain a man page for this command, but as far
> as I can tell ISC doesn't ship the thing so Paul's complaint stands. Could
> someone at ISC comment, just what is a user in that situation supposed to do??

I couldn't find the tapecntl command either.  However I did find an "mt"
command which seems to be the program you want.  However, even though a
strings of /bin/mt shows the commands: retension, rewind, fsf, etc., the use
of any of these commands always results in a "command not available" or a
"command not recognized".

So it looks like the original poster is correct: If you need to perform one
of these operations you must write a program to do it yourself.  However,
I have been using 1/4" cartridge tapes for almost 3 years and haven't had
a need to do any of these.

In any case, Interactive should provide such a program.