HELP! uucico hangs!

HIM tron1 at tronsbox.UUCP
Fri Jan 5 16:48:31 AEST 1990

>same port). Everything works fine (I poll a computer every
>2 hours) *until somebody logs in on that port!!* After that I get FAIL from
>uucico every time it calls and the only cure seems to be to reboot the system.

Ok.. I had the same problems and will post the solution here.

I had FAILS from uucico until a friend of mine sent me that attached program.

AS FAR as I can tell, after a log-in , the port gets LOCKED until something
"pokes" it , this can be done by hand with a "> /dev/foo" as root, or you
can put the following in your inittab or rc files...

*************** /etc/rc2.d/S99poker *********************
(trap '' 1 2 3; /usr/local/bin/poker /dev/acu0 /dev/acu1 /dev/ttyd0 /dev/ttyd
1) 2>&1 >/dev/null &

*************** MAKEFILE FOR POKER.C ********************
poker: poker.c
 cc -O poker.c -s -lc_s -o poker
 mcs -d poker
************** .C CODE FOR POKER PROGRAM ****************
#include <signal.h>

/* sig_alarm(int sig):
** signal catcher for SIG_ALRM: just reset the signal to be caught again.
*/

int
sig_alarm(sig)
int sig;
{
 (void) signal(sig, sig_alarm);
}

/* int main(int argc, char **argv):
** main line routine: for each argument argv[1]..argv[argc-1], assume it
** is the name of a (device) file, and attempt to open it for writing.
** This *seems* to wake up the 386/ix 2.0.2 asy device driver.  The only
** safeguard is to set an alarm to break us out of the open(), in case the
** driver (or device) is in such a state that it cannot accept any open()
** requests.
**
** Should be invoked from either /etc/rc2.d/S99poker (perferred), or possibly

** directly from /etc/inittab (but fix /etc/conf/cf.d/init.base, or it
** will go away on every kernel installation).
*/
/* Modified on 11/05/89 to not use stderr */

int
main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
 /* for ever */
 for (;;)
 {
  int i; /* index for the argument list */

  /* for each argument (except our name) */
  for (i = 1; argv[i]; ++i)
  {
   int fd;  /* file descriptor from open() */

   /* setup our signal catcher */
   (void) signal(SIGALRM, sig_alarm);
   /* allow the open 15 seconds to complete */
   alarm(15);
   /* try to open the file for writing */
   fd = open(argv[i], 1);
   /* cancel the alarm */
   alarm(0);
   /* and reset the signal */
   (void) signal(SIGALRM, SIG_DFL);
   /* did it work? */
   if (fd == -1)
   {
    /* no: complain */
    printf("POKER: Can't open %s\n", argv[i]);
    /* and go 'round the loop again */
    continue;
   }
   /* yes: just close it; the driver might wake up now */
   (void) close(fd);
   /* go away for a while so we don't use the whole CPU */
   sleep(15);
  }
 }
 /* no way to get here, so no need for a return */
}

"Perfume and leather baby , you and me together baby,
  what good is living in paradise, if you don't let yourself once or twice."
 -Tiffany

 Kenneth J. Jamieson ---- THE BOSS at Xanadu Enterprises Inc.
      UUCP: tron1 at tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568