Tape retensioning

Paul Gillingwater paul at csnz.co.nz
Thu Jan 11 08:27:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan8.034014.3445 at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>In article <1990Jan6.063506.8670 at actrix.co.nz> paul at actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>>But what happens to new users who haven't got a C compiler?
>>How do *they* retension their tapes?  And yes, I tried RTFM...
>
>A quick look at the permuted index in the FM reveals the existence of the
>"tapecntl" command, and its -t for retension option.
>
>Better luck with the FM next time.

Thanks for that info, John.  I can only say in my defence that ISC weren't
even *SHIPPING* reference manuals when I bought ISC 2.0.1.  They told me
to use some generic AT&T V.3.0 manuals, which contain no reference to
"tapecntl" in either the User's Reference or System Admin Ref.

I note that ISC have now changed their packaging to include printed
manuals  --- I mean the real reference manuals, not their extended
release notes.  And the good news is that they will include man pages
with the next release.

BTW, re the next release: has anyone heard any announcements re an
upgrade path to ISC's release of V.4.0?  I've only had my 2.0.2
for a couple of months...

Also, can someone please post a list of all the ISC updates, X1..X6..?
The local supplier doesn't like to reveal their existence...
--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul at csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul