ATI VGA Wonder (was Re: Use a 386 unix as a home machine?).

Gary Coffman ke4zv at kd4nc.UUCP
Tue Jan 2 03:21:41 AEST 1990

In article <1989Dec29.213443.8335 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>In article <397 at oha.UUCP> tony at oha.UUCP writes:
>>In message <1989Dec25.164606.1072 at ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>>
>>> NO!  The ATI bus mouse is not recognized here by either SCO or ISC's unix,
>>> although it does work fine under MSDOS.  Neither ISC or SCO will support
>>> that configuration, and ATI doesn't know why it doesn't work (nor do SCO or
>>> ISC).  It may be 90% Microsoft bus mouse compatible, but it's not 100%.
>>
>>Hmm, works here w/AMI 386 @ 25 + Xenix 2.3.1, most of the time.
>>Is the net's experience is that it never works, or is intermittent?
>
>We're talking about Unix here....

The problem with the ATI bus mouse is that it is not a Microsoft INPort Bus
Mouse. ISC's driver does a signature check to make sure it is talking to an
honest to GOD INPort chip. This fails of course with the ATI bus mouse. It
took me two weeks of digging to find this nasty. Another problem with the
ATI Video Wonder and a Micronics 20Mhz cacheing motherboard is that neither
a warm boot nor a hardware reset will work. You get a machine that won't
reboot. The ONLY way to reboot this combination is the big red switch. I
never did solve this one. Thankfully, GOD stepped in at this point and
rebooted my system with a few mega-amps of lightning and my insurance company
bought me some nice new 33Mhz hardware.-)-)

Gary Coffman