uucico timeout is too short

Garry M. Paxinos pax at ankh.COM
Mon Jan 15 23:39:19 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan14.141325.698 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
   Yesterday, I posted this message about uucico timeout comming too early.

   In article <1990Jan12.230447.2579 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
   > The timeout for uucico to use when waiting for a response should
   > be configurable so that those of us who have modems that use extended
   > handshaking could give it enough time to connect.

   Since then at least three people had told me about the following solution:

   add \d's to the dial string which impose a delay before the uucico timeout
   starts.

A simpler one, which will also respond faster (as I sent in a message
today to you...) is replace the 'CONNECT' statement (or anyother as
applicable) with  'CONNECT-/c-CONNECT' .  With this approach, you
won't have any arbitrary amount of fixed delay, if the CONNECT happens
fast you'll catch it, but you'll double you total timeout period on
the slow ones.

Take care,
Garry.
Internet :  home - pax at ankh.ftl.fl.us   work : pax at megasys.com
USNail   :  3868 NW 21 Ct.  Coconut Creek, Fl 33066
UUCP     :  {gatech!uflorida!novavax, mthvax, attctc, hoptoad}!ankh!pax
VoiceMail:  305-973-8478