ISC's X11 and the ATI VGA Wonder

Scott Wiesner scottw at ico.isc.com
Wed Jan 3 04:42:14 AEST 1990

After seeing a number of complaints about using the ATI VGA Wonder (and
the built in mouse) with the Interactive X11 product, I decided it was
time to retry this setup on my machine.  I did the following:

	Re-configured my kernel to include the Logitec bus mouse driver.
	Shut down my machine.
	Installed the ATI card.
	Used ATI's "vsetup" program to configure the mouse at the
		primary address and use interrupt 5.
	Booted unix.
	Edited my Xconfig file to use a Logitec bus mouse with 2 buttons.
	Ran the 1.0 version of Xvga.  Everything's fine.
	Ran the X3 update version of Xvga.  Everything's fine.
	Ran the 1.1 version of Xvga.  Everything's fine.

Other comments:

If you're not familiar with the Xconfig file, it's what X is really
using to determine the display, resolution, mouse type, etc., that you
are using.  The sysadm configuration stuff modifies this file.  It's
in /usr/lib/X11/Xconfig.  Look for the sample line that has a Logitec
3 button bus mouse.  Make a copy of this line, and uncomment it by removing
the # at the beginning of the line. Change the "3" to a "2" to indicate
you only have 2 buttons.  Comment out the line that was your previous
mouse entry.  My config entry is:

mouse	LOGI-B	"2"	0	/dev/logi

In the X3 and 1.1 releases of X, you can set the display configuration
type to ATIVGA and run at 800x600 if you have 512k of memory on the ATI
board.  In a future release, you'll also be able to do this with only
256k of memory.

As far as I can tell, things work just fine.  It's true you can't tell
X you've got a Microsoft Bus mouse in this case, but telling it you've
got a Logitec Bus mouse (which is what you really have!) works just fine.

If people are still having a problem with this configuration, I'd be
interested in hearing about it.

Scott Wiesner
Interactive Systems
X Development Group