/dev/osm (was: Re: Logging console messages to a printer.)

Pim Zandbergen pim at cti-software.nl
Fri Jan 5 23:41:46 AEST 1990

mark at zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) writes:

>   Device "osm" stands for "operating system messages".  You have to have
>the driver built into the kernel.  In kconfig this is selected under
>the  "ADD FACILITY" item.  The facility you want to add is "Operating
>System Messages".  (If you already have added it, it won't show up under
>ADD FACILITY but will be listed under REMOVE FACILITY.)

I have rebuilt the kernel (ISC 2.0.1) with osm installed
but no /dev/osm is created.
Apparently there is no /etc/conf/node.d/osm file.

Can anybody help me with major and minor numbers ?

On our AT&T 3B2 running SYS V R 3.2.1 there's a utility
called 'errint' for reading /dev/osm.
Is this supposed to be standard in SYS V R 3.2?
I can't find it in ISC 386/ix.
Pim Zandbergen                           domain : pim at cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                          uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70            phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands       fax    : +31 70 3512837