Interactive 2.2 install query

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Jul 10 21:02:37 AEST 1990

In article <690 at sci34hub.UUCP> gary at sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

> [description of using linked copies of config files to save backup time]
> [and ease re-installation following an update deleted ]
>
>I came up with this trick while testing successive beta releases,
>to save myself a lot of re-config work. It's proven to work quite
>well, and eliminates the need for a separate root fs image. It saves
>backup time since you don't need to dump the whole root fs, just the
>one directory.

An easier mechanism is to do the following:

	Once you have completed the original installation of your software
	create a file called ".epic_file" in your root directory.

	When you want to make a back up of the changed files you just run:

		find . -newer .epic_file -print | cpio ...

This way you don't have to go through the step of creating the links and you
don't have to worry about an update installation that removes the pre-existing
files instead of copying over them.

If you didn't create the ".epic_file" when you originally installed the
software, you can use "touch MMDDHHMMYY .epic_file" to creat it with the
appropriate date/time.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170