Interactive 2.2 install query

Tim Brown tim at comcon.UUCP
Mon Jul 9 06:09:00 AEST 1990

In article <6417 at gaboon.UUCP>, asv at gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) writes:
>      The more I read this group the more nervous I get!
>      Is there anyone out there who has upgraded form 2.0.2 to 2.2 and
>      encountered no problems?  I'm ready for some moral boosting good news!
Ok, credit where it is due!  I have installed 2.2 on three systems.  I
will list them and their problems that remain.

1)
	386/20 with 8 megs RAM
	AMI BIOS C&T Set MB
	150 meg SCSI/Future Domain 865 Controller with floppy support.

	This was an upgrade type install.  I did it this way because I
	didn't have much time to do the upgrade and it seemed to be
	the safest approach.  It worked well for the most part.
	Probelms:
		sendmail will not die if TCP is not properly
		installed.  Even if I switch to init level 2 and get
		rid of the hosts file *and* I had sendmail configured
		to *only* use uucp for mail the whole time.  If I set
		up a complete TCP network sendmail functions fine.

		This system is *definitly* slower than it was before
		the upgrade.  Even after the switch to init level 2,
		it is slower.  I am fielding complaints of slowness
		from users all day.  I am seriously thinking of
		switching this one back to 2.0.2.  The main reason for
		the upgrade on this machine was for TCP, when that is
		running the machine craaawlss.

		NOTE:  Other than the above mentioned problems the
		system works fine.  Not having a support contract
		however (and not going to buy one!) nor hearing any
		answers here, I will probably *have* to switch back to
		2.0.2.

	386/20 8 megs RAM
	AMI C&T MB
	Adaptec 2372B Controller with 2 Seagate 4144R's

 	This was a destructive re-install.
	This system runs *fast* and perfectly, with the exception of
	the sendmail bug mentioned above.  This system has the news on
	it.  I would *like* to run SLIP here if I could figure out how
	to do it.

	386/33 12 megs RAM
	Micronics MB, Pheonix BIOS
	WD1007wa2-wah controller, and 2 micropolis ESDI drives (don't
	remember the exact model) 330 megs each.

	This one was a destructive reinstall.  This system runs
	flawlessly.
	This is my favorite machine.  Seems faster than before.  I
	have TCP running, PCI and sendmail works right.

	There is one minor problem they all now experience with paging
	which I will post seperatly.

Tim Brown
nstar!comcon!tim