swap on disk1

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.UUCP
Wed Jul 25 01:28:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul23.042802.18845 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:
>I haven't exercised isc as thoroughly, but I did partition some
>swap space on drive 1.  By now, though, extra memory is sufficiently
>cheaper and faster that I've left my swap area quite small (1 or 2 Meg)
>with  8 Mb of ram.  This weekend, gnu emacs threw me an "out of memory"
>error.  If it recurs maybe I'll activate that extra swap space.

I've been told by some folks that've done porting work for us that
the swap space should be at least as large as your main memory. Otherwise,
you get the "out of memory" errors.... This is most likely a problem on
more active systems, with several users doing database or development
work.

By now, though, discs are sufficiently cheaper and faster that I always
allocate at least 16MB of swap space, just to avoid problems. :-)

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)