150 Mb Archive Viper can't write 60 Mb tapes???

Steve Ralston sralston at srwic.UUCP
Mon Jul 2 06:09:18 AEST 1990

In article <212 at twg.UUCP> bill at twg.UUCP (Bill Irwin) writes:
>The sound of this when I heard it was so absurd I just had to ask the net
>right  away.   We are just installing an Archive Viper 150Mb  tape  drive
>into  an i386 running SCO UNIX (current release).  One of the technicians
>said  that  it could read 60Mb tapes produced on a 60Mb streamer, but  it
>couldn't produce tapes that could be read by the 60Mb.

Sorry I can't help you with your 150 Mb Archive Viper problems, but...

If you think that's absurd, how about SCO UNIX not being able to read
QIC-40 tapes written by SCO Xenix (2.3.2).  These tapes were written using
both cpio and tar after installing the Xenix QIC-40 tape driver.  After
installing the SCO UNIX QIC-40 tape driver, I get get END-OF-MEDIA when
trying to read cpio tapes and some other error reading the tar tapes.

I can write and read QIC-40 tapes using the SCO UNIX drivers, but cannot
read old tapes written under SCO Xenix.  Ranks alot.  Sure glad I spent
all that time backing up the Xenix system to tape so I could retrieve my
valuable files.
--
Steve Ralston						sralston at srwic.UUCP
235 N Zelta						voice: 316-686-2019